Thursday, March 8, 2007

Musings on Bermuda

So I've found some things I love about the island (the weather, the immaculately dressed school children, the pace of life, watching the endlessly changing blue of the ocean, and driving a bike) and I've found some things I don't like so much (cockroaches, weird spiders that have the biggest webs, and humidity so thick some days you sweat even when you're standing still).

That being said, it beats snow and wind and ice and cold hands down.

I have now driven into Hamilton twice - I'm such an adventurer! Of course I wait until the morning rush hour is done and then it's fairly easy if you pay attention. Yesterday I came into town to meet Rod for lunch and try to get his suit dry cleaned (it got a bit mildewy - go figure). I haven't found a reliable dry cleaner or seamstress yet. You'd be surprised how much that matters when you don't have one.

It's been a while since I last blogged - I have to admit to some homsickness and a little bit of lonely. However, Rod and I went bowling tonight at Warwick Lanes - 10 pin - and it was fun, and not too expensive. There's more to settling into a new country than I remember from being a kid in Florida. Of course then I was in school within a week of arriving - not nearly as much time on my hands as I have now.

However, we're having some people over on Saturday for a St. Patrick's Day/Housewarming party. It's all Rod's co-worker's and significant others. Hopefully it's as much fun (almost) as the last party we threw.
Daisy and I went to the beach the other day. It's pretty obvious she loves it here (see photo if you don't believe me). Overall, it's still the most fun I've had in a long while - but I'll be glad when my paperwork is in and I can start applying for a job.
Well, that and waiting for summer weather so we can spend time at the beach!!
Hope everyone at home is good. Danielle, if you're reading this, I hope you are fine and everything is progressing as you'd hoped. You'd better send pictures in about 49 days!!
Hugs to everyone at home.
R & K.



No comments: