Saturday, April 21, 2007

Sometimes public transport isn't so bad...

I have decided I can’t complain about having to ride the bus any more. Riding the bus gives me insight about the people and the culture of Bermuda, and today I got a rare opportunity.

I met Johnny Barnes.

I can hear all of you at home saying; “who?” or “why is this so monumental?”

I’ll tell you why. Since arriving on the island, I have seen 2 bronze statues of men who are important to Bermuda.

One is Mark Twain.

The other one sat next to me on the bus today.

I did not immediately recognize him, but I did notice him when he got on the bus. An immaculately dressed older gentleman, he wore a perfectly pressed tan suit with a formal pink shirt, and immaculately groomed hair and beard. I didn’t think much when he sat next to me, except to wish him a good afternoon. He made a comment about the beautiful weather and I agreed.

We continued to make small talk until we reached the Harbour road roundabout and then he asked me if I knew who Johnny Barnes was and had I ever seen him.

Well, of course I’d seen him; I’d even waved to him a couple of times. The man then pulled a postcard out of his bag and gave it to me. It was of Johnny Barnes standing next to his statue. I thanked him and started to slip the postcard into my bag but he stopped me. He asked me to take a closer look and my jaw dropped.

Only then did I realize I was sitting and chatting with a man who is as much representative of Bermuda as Longtail Birds and the privateers!

What a treat to get such an up close and personal visit with the man known as “The Spirit of Bermuda”. Most weekday mornings, he stations himself at the last roundabout before entering Hamilton from about 6:30 until 10:00 am. He waves and smiles and wishes everyone who passes good day and God Bless.

He is someone who does not seem to have an ounce of anger or resentment or mistrust in him. He has a genuine wish that everyone in the world try harder to get along. He is a man who has lived a long time and seen many things and still he wishes only peace and happiness for his fellow man.

Don’t get me wrong; there’s no message from me in this blog entry. It just really gave me a warm fuzzy both to meet a Bermuda icon and to find out he’s such a pleasant and warm person.
PS. More chapters from our adventures in New York and Barbados to follow. They just need one more edit…

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Karen

What a treat for you to have met this gentleman in person!! Now the next time you see him at that station and wave, it will have more meaning for you and that warm fuzzy feeling will probably return !! It sounds like he is just like a big hug from the World !!

Well soon Auntie Jean will he on her way home (at least I hope you are sending her back to us lol) I know she had a wonderful time and I can hardly wait to see more pictures and hear more about her holiday within a holiday LOL

Karen, now that I know that you and Rod have this Blog, I will be able to see Burmuda through your eyes and get to know you both a lttle better.

Cousin Sharon